“To remain agile in today’s highly volatile global market, companies need genuine, ‘lean transformation’ at the root level across ALL areas of the company. It must be built into the dna of the company in order to sustain long-term growth.” – Geoff Koboldt
tags: operations management
A world-class manufacturing and distribution Operations management expert, Geoff Koboldt loves bringing his high energy to work every day while bringing out the absolute best in people. A keen listener with strong emotional intelligence, his ability to connect with others has been paramount to each organization’s success. His unique coaching methods and delineation of the traditional org chart fosters a lean environment where employees take ownership, become customer obsessed and insist on the highest standards. operations executive lean transformation
Driven by a strong sense of urgency, he thrives on massive change under fire. His calm spirit and demeanor brings peace and harmony to chaos and uncertainty. Resourceful, entrepreneurial and innovative, he always searches out new ways to improve business operations and elevate best-practices.
Geoff inherited his get-your-hands-dirty work ethic from his father who was an hourly factory worker at General Motors for 31 years. His father said to him early in his career, “Never walk into a new environment with your fancy suits acting like your better than anyone. Put your blue jeans on, roll up your sleeves and get dirty with the front-line employees; the people whose buy-in and respect you will need if you ever want to be successful.” Geoff has humbly lived by this motto.
Often pulling the team and pushing only when necessary, his leadership style reflects his genuine care for others, but more importantly in delivering incredible results.
► As Director of Operations at Rose Tarlow Melrose House, hired to implement lean methodologies and turn around a weak culture, he reduced lead times by 23% and increased on-time performance by 82%, while increasing quality by 18%.
► As Chief Operations Officer at BambooBuddy, he led a start-up to a multi-$million business, earning A-level grades from its largest customer Lowes Home Improvement stores for on-time delivery, fill rates, inventory turns and sales.
► As Vice President of Strategic Operations at Dark Horse Distribution, hired to lead a crisis turnaround, he turned the company in the black by identifying new marketing channels, generating new products, revitalizing old brands and completely transforming the culture.
► As Materials Manager at Milgard Manufacturing, he initiated lean methodologies to the company leading their continuous improvement efforts, resulting in a savings of $1.4M through 1 project alone reducing the material waste, earning #1 materials team among 17 plants, and positioning his $120M plant in the top 5 overall.
► As Operations Manager at General Motors, he led his team in a tough union environment to earning the #1 AC/Delco facility in N. America for 4 straight years and earning a top 5 position among 28 service parts operations plants, based on 25 corporate metrics. His toyota-based lean training led to his team championing over $10M in savings.
With a Masters in Business Administration from Pepperdine University and a Bachelor’s in Chemistry from Michigan State University, Geoff’s educational foundation is rock solid. His yearning to always be on top of his game has led him to also earn multiple certificates in lean, six sigma, as well as a pending certificate in project management (PMP). In addition, he has been coached by Brendon Burchard, as part of the Achievement Accelerator program and High Performance Academy.
His passions away from work include reading, playing guitar, meditation, traveling, and spending time with family and friends. He and his wife Cathy, a Presidential Club award winner in the telecom industry, have two beautiful children: Giana and Liam. They live outside of Los Angeles, California.
Click each image to download (.pdf)
Executive bioView resume
Geoff KoboldtGeoff earned a B.S. in Chemistry from Michigan State University and a MBA from the prestigious Graziadio school of business at Pepperdine University. A life-long learner, he continues to earn certificates in various disciplines, as well as reads 1 book per week. He is an active member of Project Management Institute (PMI), Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) and American Society of Quality (ASQ).
Demonstrated core competencies, broad-based strengths, and accomplishments in:
- Lean + Six Sigma (15+ years) 95%
- Project Management (10+ years) 95%
- Operations (15+ years) 95%
- Quality Assurance | Quality Control (14 years) 95%
- Supply Chain (10+ years) 90%
- Production Management (15+ years) 95%
- Inventory Control (12+ years) 90%
- Change Management (15+ years) 90%
- Full P&L Accountability (10+ years) 85%
- Tactical and Strategic Marketing (10+ years) 85%
- Logistics (15+ years) 90%
- Warehousing | Distribution (15+ years) 90%
Acuity Brands Chatsworth, CA – Inside Technical Sales Manager (Zone 1 lead) 02/2017 –present
Current challenge: Grow architectural sales (linear systems) >$100M
Leading a team of 5 ITS managers, across 3 regions of USA aimed at becoming the single point of contact for 3 specific brands.
Instituting lean methodologies to improve quality, reduce lead times, improve on-time performance, increase customer satisfaction, streamline communication, etc.
Acuity Brands Chatsworth, CA – Solutions Project Manager 07/2016 –01/2017
Acuity Brands is a $2.7 Billion provider of lighting and energy management solutions (IoT, smart city, led). I am responsible for managing numerous projects from cradle to grave for 3 agencies in Western region of USA, from design to submittal to order to install to post install.
Somadome, Inc. Santa Monica, CA – Project Consultant 09/2015 – 06/2016
Contracted by CEO to manage multiple projects including systems integration, supply chain and logistics for this luxury company serving the health and wellness industry. *Due to privacy, results cannot be shared.
Quintus Home West Hollywood, CA – Lean Project Consultant 03/2015 – 09/2015
Contracted by CEO to implement lean systems and operations for this new luxury furniture company.
- Implemented lean processes including development of 20+ new standards of work; 6S, value steam mapping, DMAIC.
- Developed a 5-part metric system and continuous improvement board with 60+ actionable items.
- Instituted a detailed management performance system for employee development improving efficiency by 33%.
- Created a production schedule board for vendor management resulting in improvement of on-time performance from 20% to 65%, while increasing first-time quality by over 14%.
- Led IT project setting up new systems with All Orders, QuickBooks, and Salesforce.
- Improved on-time performance from 40% to 78%, while simultaneously reducing the lead-time from 20.9 to 16.4 weeks.
- Drove new levels of first-time quality after overhauling the entire quality process contributing to an 18% improvement.
- Utilized lean tools to drive continuous improvements resulting in 45 new standards of work written, identifying top 3 customer needs, eliminating low selling skus, reduced shipping errors by 10%, and increased customer satisfaction by 50%.
- Transformed the culture positively with management performance system, 360 reviews and CXPA training. Member of Customer Experience Professional Association.
- Launched 35 new products, partnered with Cox London to release 60 new products, launching new finished sample program.
- Managed the relationship with 25 local vendors producing 150+ sales orders per month, 1000+ skus, while working with 200+ designers, design firms, and 17 partner showrooms, as well as our flagship store in LA.
- Navigated 3 highly-customized projects in the $2-5M range for high-profile billionaire clients.
- Developed quality assurance program at factory and distribution level with less than .5% customer defect rate.
- Deployed Kaizen projects using Lean and Six Sigma techniques; cut warehouse labor expense by 7%, increased fill rate from 94.55 to 99.87, and raised employee productivity by 23%.
- Increased sales 51% year-over-year by educating Lowes management in merchandising techniques.
- Expanded distribution through Lowes from 40 stores in 3 states to more than 450 stores in 30 states.
- Reached 99% on-time shipping and delivery gaining A-level rank from Lowes for inventory turns, quantity fill rates, quality returns and monthly sales as a vendor.
- Achieved 14% reduction in operating costs enabling investment in other brand pursuits without additional financing or loss of equity. Instituted process improvements resulting in consecutive annual 12% budget reduction.
- Cut and right-sized inventory, reducing by $102K and developed accurate JIT forecasting model.
- Developed quality control process holding defects to less than .01% while increasing productivity by +15%.
- Reduced COGS by $740K and sourced new overseas factories for key products; negotiated with American vendors to reduce costs; savings freed up cash to pay off outstanding payables and invest into marketing and fresh branding efforts, including individual product updated logos, brand identity and new apparel line.
- Expanded Internet sales by more than 5,100%; orchestrated design and launch of 2 new Websites, including SEO, Adwords, and shopping cart with OS commerce.
- Reduced inventory costs by $50K and increased warehouse and office efficiency by applying 5S and lean techniques.
- Established new sales quotas, commission structures, and sales training.
- Recognized as #5 plant out of 18 for GAP, a rise from 11th place. Earned #1 materials management team.
- Increased productivity on aluminum line from .72 units/hour to .90.
- Gained $110K additional revenue by negotiating waste removal plan for broken glass and scrap aluminum.
- Reduced physical inventory write-offs by $203K; applied 5S to each production line and trained staff.
- Improved cycle count accuracy from 83% to 97.3%.
- Championed lean six sigma projects: area optimization, cycle throughput, slotting inventory, takt time, 5S, etc.
- Led quality improvements by 34% instituting a new process for quality assurance while ensuring productivity increases.
- Increased productivity 50% in outbound department from 28 lines per hour to 42 lines per hour and 15% for inbound.
- Earned #1 AC Delco plant and raised performance ranking to #5 out of 28 plants from 17th place, based on 25 metrics.
- Increased cycle count accuracy to over 99.5%, managing over 500+ skus.
- Reduced stockouts by 10%.