Acuity Brands Chatsworth, CA – Architectural Technical Sales Manager (Zone lead) 02/2017 –present
Report to V.P. of Architectural Services
Lead zone 1 Architectural Technical Sales team of 7 managers, covering 3 regions across 15+ states, Western Canada and International (Latin America, Europe, Asia, Middle East)
Challenged to reinvent the customer experience / service model for our agents/contractors/clients to grow architectural sales; 12% revenue increase in FY17.
Instituting lean process improvements and tools (A3, value stream mapping, 5 why, fishbone, DMAIC, Paynter Charts, FMEA); 45+ processes, 35 standards of work.
2/20/17 – Implement SSQ process to improve sales samples to museum quality
3/20/17 – Value stream mapping of architectural services w/ lean consultant
5/3/17 – Palletization in linear runs / kanban production facility
6/29/17 – Reducing Mark Lighting engineering cycle time
9/11/17 – Quality transformation at production facility
9/25/17 – Value stream mapping customer care / architectural technical sales; reduce response times
12/5/17 – Reducing escalations (Mark Lighting)
1/8/18 – Reducing escalations (Peerless)
Fully engaged with Product Support, Engineering, Product Development, Design, Customer Experience, Warranty, Sales, etc. – it’s all a part of our “value” chain.
Acuity Brands Chatsworth, CA – Solutions Project Manager 07/2016 –01/2017
Acuity Brands is a $3.7 Billion provider of lighting and energy management solutions (IoT, smart city, led).
Led multi-phased, $multi-million projects, cradle to grave.
Managed 25+ projects for 3 agencies from Ventura to San Diego to Vegas, as well as supported 7 sales reps from Western Canada to Colorado to Phoenix.
Applied lean methodology to institute and organize 30 standards of work for the project management team of 20.
Navigated a complex matrix organization to:
– pull hundreds of orders through the supply chain
– minimize post sales delays
– improve engineering cycle time
– reduce coding cycle time
– get answers to complex tech or product support questions
– assist sales team
Participated in tech support kaizen, resulting in a reduction of escalations.
Reported to Director of Design & Application Services, reporting to V.P. Customer Experience.
Somadome, Inc. Santa Monica, CA – Project Consultant 08/2015 – 06/2016
Contracted by CEO to manage multiple projects including systems integration, supply chain and logistics for this luxury company introducing a high-tech meditation pod to the health and wellness industry.
- Developed overarching global strategy and infrastructure with CEO and IT architect including user experience, product life cycle phase analysis, market penetration, and systems integration.
- Instituted lean systems and processes for managing the supply chain; negotiating contracts with vendors; ensuring just-in-time delivery; assurance of inventory control.
- Collaborated with engineering and product development to build a robust, high-quality product, troubleshooting and training manuals and videos, and a quality control system.
- Created a dashboard and database that integrates all systems and departments seamlessly.
- Streamlined communication via Confluence + Dropbox + Trello + Slack.
Quintus Home West Hollywood, CA – Project Consultant 03/2015 – 09/2015 Contracted by CEO to implement lean systems and operations for his new luxury furniture company.
- Implemented lean processes including development of 20+ new standards of work; 6S, value steam mapping, DMAIC.
- Developed a 5-part metric system and continuous improvement board with 60+ actionable items.
- Instituted a detailed management performance system for employee development improving efficiency by 33%.
- Created a production schedule board for vendor management resulting in improvement of on-time performance from 20% to 65%, while increasing first-time quality by over 14%.
- Led IT project setting up new systems with All Orders, QuickBooks, and Salesforce.
Rose Tarlow Melrose House, Inc. West Hollywood, CA – Director of Operations 01/2014 – 02/2015 In charge of all operations for this luxury, high-end company serving the interior design community. Products include furniture, textiles, lighting, rugs and accessories. Led management staff of 16 including Production, Purchasing, Customer Experience, Warehouse, Quality, Logistics, and Special Projects. Results: reduced lead times from 20.9 weeks to 16.4 weeks.
- Improved on-time performance from 40% to 78%, while simultaneously reducing the lead-time from 20.9 to 16.4 weeks.
- Drove new levels of first-time quality after overhauling the entire quality process contributing to an 18% improvement.
- Utilized lean tools to drive continuous improvements resulting in 45 new standards of work written, identifying top 3 customer needs, eliminating low selling skus, reduced shipping errors by 10%, and increased customer satisfaction by 50%.
- Transformed the culture positively with management performance system, 360 reviews and CXPA training. Member of Customer Experience Professional Association.
- Launched 35 new products, partnered with Cox London to release 60 new products, launching new finished sample program.
- Managed the relationship with 25 local vendors producing 150+ sales orders per month, 1000+ skus, while working with 200+ designers, design firms, and 17 partner showrooms, as well as our flagship store in LA.
- Navigated 3 highly-customized projects in the $2-5M range for high-profile billionaire clients.
BambooBuddy, LLC. Oceanside, CA – COO 5/2008 – 01/2014 In charge of all operations for marketing and distributing products made from bamboo under various brands to Lowes Home Improvement Store and Home Depot, with pending Walmart deal for consumer products. Products include fencing, skateboards, dishware, sunglasses, and natural deodorizers. Directed $750K budget and a direct staff of 19 including Operations, Sales, and Warehouse Managers, as well as 5 independent sales representatives in the U.S. Results: built business from startup to multi-$million.
- Developed quality assurance program at factory and distribution level with less than .5% customer defect rate.
- Deployed Kaizen projects using Lean and Six Sigma techniques; cut warehouse labor expense by 7%, increased fill rate from 94.55 to 99.87, and raised employee productivity by 23%.
- Increased sales 51% year-over-year by educating Lowes management in merchandising techniques.
- Expanded distribution through Lowes from 40 stores in 3 states to more than 450 stores in 30 states.
- Reached 99% on-time shipping and delivery gaining A-level rank from Lowes for inventory turns, quantity fill rates, quality returns and monthly sales as a vendor.
- Achieved 14% reduction in operating costs enabling investment in other brand pursuits without additional financing or loss of equity. Instituted process improvements resulting in consecutive annual 12% budget reduction.
- Cut and right-sized inventory, reducing by $102K and developed accurate JIT forecasting model.
- Developed quality control process holding defects to less than .01% while increasing productivity by +15%.
- Reduced COGS by $740K and sourced new overseas factories for key products; negotiated with American vendors to reduce costs; savings freed up cash to pay off outstanding payables and invest into marketing and fresh branding efforts, including individual product updated logos, brand identity and new apparel line.
- Expanded Internet sales by more than 5,100%; orchestrated design and launch of 2 new Websites, including SEO, Adwords, and shopping cart with OS commerce.
- Reduced inventory costs by $50K and increased warehouse and office efficiency by applying 5S and lean techniques.
- Established new sales quotas, commission structures, and sales training.
- Recognized as #5 plant out of 18 for GAP, a rise from 11th place. Earned #1 materials management team.
- Increased productivity on aluminum line from .72 units/hour to .90.
- Gained $110K additional revenue by negotiating waste removal plan for broken glass and scrap aluminum.
- Reduced physical inventory write-offs by $203K; applied 5S to each production line and trained staff.
- Improved cycle count accuracy from 83% to 97.3%.
- Championed lean six sigma projects: area optimization, cycle throughput, slotting inventory, takt time, 5S, etc.
- Led quality improvements by 34% instituting a new process for quality assurance while ensuring productivity increases.
- Increased productivity 50% in outbound department from 28 lines per hour to 42 lines per hour and 15% for inbound.
- Earned #1 AC Delco plant and raised performance ranking to #5 out of 28 plants from 17th place, based on 25 metrics.
- Increased cycle count accuracy to over 99.5%, managing over 500+ skus.
- Reduced stockouts by 10%.